Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Friday, May 3, 2013

And His Eyes Danced...

  
Lots going on right now, including some extra P/T to deal with an old back injury that has flared up recently. As my legs were not responding to therapy equally, I developed a pronounced limp for a few weeks, which we believe triggered the return of some lower back problems dating back to my many years in the gym. The last time I can clearly recall it being this bad was in 2005 during a trip to Toronto. Trying to keep up with my wife and three teenagers, I could not walk more than a block or two without having to stop and stretch and wait for the pain to subside. It wasn't pretty.

Otherwise, the rehab for my leg injuries is progressing and I now can flex both legs to 120 degrees or more. My main focus is to get them stronger...and I have a long way to go.

Thanks for the continued well-wishes.

Last weekend, I took the pocket watch featured in this post, along with three others, to a semi-retired watch repairman in Edwardsville. I left the three needing work with him, and when we were done discussing those, I pulled out the watch below.



I intentionally looked at his face as I first held out the watch.

His eyes danced.

Using his multiple eyepieces, he told me that the "Williams" I thought I saw inscribed on the inside back cover was actually Wilkes-Barre, and it was next to a date of D 10, '57.  Now, that begs the question; was it a repair date of December 10, 1857, or 1957, or did it memorialize some other important date in the history of this timepiece? There are dozens of questions that will never be answered about the ownership timeline of this still-functioning family heirloom, but I at least know that my father gave it to me, and that it was in the Wyoming Valley in " '57 ". Both my great grandfather and great-great grandfather can be seen in multiple pictures at various times in their lives with watch chains dangling from their vests...so I'll always believe this watch was in one of their pockets so many years ago.


Edward C. and his son, Samuel L. Williams @ Nicholson, PA
Circa 1927

One other interesting & supporting piece to the puzzle: it was always evident to me that the watch chain was also fairly old and of very good quality. Upon close inspection with a magnifying glass, the name "KREMENTZ" was found engraved on the chain's clasp. The Krementz Jewelry Company was founded in 1866.
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment