Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, May 5, 2013

History and the Living Hope Farm


The picture's heading says "1772" and the narrative below it says 1886. Either way, there was a ferry across the Susquehanna River in Luzerne County near the present-day State Correctional Institution @ Retreat  dating back well before Rte. 11 was paved...or even called Rte. 11.

 
I found this article in one of the many boxes I am still slowly wading through. It appears to be from February 25, 1973...or possibly 1978. 
  
Yesterday was "flower planting" day at our home. It was also the day that a local Mennonite Church has their semi-annual yard ( actually - parking lot ) sale, which we never try to miss. One of the stands was selling early season herbs from a local organic farm. I started off our conversation by stating I was only interested in buying some plants if the seeds were produced by Monsanto. The young woman behind the table thought I was serious, and once she realized I was kidding, I redirected the conversation to the Marcellus Shale zone, which she was fully aware of.

I then asked her if she was familiar with the South Newark Basin Shale formation, the current moratorium, etc.

She was not.

I did a two-minute brain dump, and I'm guessing/hoping that when the time comes, I won't be alone at the microphone at the public hearings in southeastern PA down the road. For lack of a better word, the owner of this organic farm has a presence that many other self-proclaimed "experts" on the Marcellus Shale public-speaking circuit sorely lack.

Anyway...I'll be stopping by Living Hope Farm's produce stand when it opens soon. If you are ever passing through Harleysville, hope you'll do the same.

 
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment