Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Jennings & Lander: History Mystery almost Solved

     
Thanks to some leads from one of my fellow NEPA bloggers, D.B. Echo, I've narrowed down the possible age of one of the pocket watches I received from my father.




 
 
 
I still have some research to do, but at least - for now - it appears the watch was manufactured between 1846 and 1854 in New York. One of the interesting twists to my research so far is that the name stamped in the watch is definitely C.S. Jennings, whereas T.D. Landers' partner during that period was Oscar S. Jennings. Maybe he misplaced the "O" punch on that day.
 
As my great-great grandfather, Samuel Williams, is seen in several photos with a chain to a pocket watch (?) clearly evident, I'm hoping some of the darn-near microscopic etchings on the inside of the watch - one of which faintly looks like it could be "S. Williams" - will help answer some questions when I finally get a decent magnifying glass to view them.  
 
 
Above:Samuel Williams & family circa 1900
Below: Samuel Williams circa 1880
 
 
 
Anyway, there's an "electronics only" recycling drop-off scheduled for this Saturday not too far from my home, so I've been spending the better part of the past few days rounding up old cell phones and transferring a few 100 MB of older pics & docs from a barely functioning 10+ year-old monstrous desktop PC to some external hard-drives. I also found all the disks containing a significant number of my older pre-Blogger posts, which I hope to be able to repost at some point in the future.
 
Finally, I've been protesting in front of the DEP and on Earth Day long before it became vogue.
 
 

 
 
 
This year, I'm going to keep my Earth Day energy closer to home. Plus, I am really concerned that this guy might just show up at one of the protests and throw a monkey wrench into the works.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment