Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Friday, October 25, 2013

25 October 2012: A Gift


On the third day of our vigil, without any prior hint of him recovering, my Dad snapped out of his ~48 hour "actively dying" stupor.  As my sister and I were watching him lying in bed - almost motionless except for his breathing as he had been doing since we arrived on Tuesday - he opened his eyes, looked around, focused on my sister and said: " Hiya, Bugs!" He then smiled and stuck his tongue out at both of us.

He was back!

As I had directed that all medications be stopped a few days prior - which I will be addressing in great detail in a future post - he was incredibly sharp and focused for the next ~18 hours.
 
More about that this weekend.  

His caretakers @ Tiffany Court were amazed at what they saw when they made their rounds. The staff immediately called his physician's assistant, who was equally dumbfounded when she arrived later in the day. In response to the calls we had made on Tuesday and Wednesday, my father had a significant number of visitors during the day, most of whom looked at me when they arrived - some after travelling great distances - and asked: "What's going on? I thought you said..."

Needless to say, I look upon those ~18 hours of having my Dad back with us as an incredible gift. It changed a lot of things my sister and I had been discussing while he was "away", and I will forever cherish that time we spent together on Thursday, 25 October 2012.

More to follow in a few.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment