Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Uninformed Journalists Perpetuating Marcellus Myths: Again


Between multiple Google alerts, Zite, and this excellent daily resource, I'm spending less and less time looking for articles about Marcellus Shale-related stuff on the 'net.

They get delivered to me 24/7.

The titles usually catch my attention first, and with a solid ~2 hours of daily down time on the train these days, I am usually in a state of informational overload by the time I'm done for the day.

This quote from an article I found a few days ago gave me pause:

"The final report is expected by year's end. Drilling can contaminate water via above-ground mistakes and poor gas-well construction. And fracking fluid, moving just a few feet per day, might contaminate aquifers over longer periods, though impervious rock caps both the Marcellus and Utica shales."
  
You can read the entire article - including my comment - here.
 
Folks, in our litigation-happy society, I think it's more than safe to say that if I had written anything that was incorrect or fabricated in this 2010 post, legal action against me would have started a long time ago. Three + years after it was written, I still see quite a few visitors landing there, and many are from some of the natural gas industry's giants.


 
Wonder why... 

Anyway, it seems that in a rush to get out with a "breaking news" headline ahead of everyone else, the days of credible ( and accurate...and ethical ) investigative journalism are - at best - on life support.
 
There is no watertight, impervious, impermeable, and/or impenetrable cap layer of rock ( or anything else ) lying on top of the Marcellus Shale formation.
 
Period. 
 
Get it right, or get out of the game.
 
 
Next up: The Personal Trainer from, ummm, somewhere well below the Marcellus Shale layer.
     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment