Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Bozeman Trail...and Beyond


   
As per a prior post, I recently drove from PA to CA. It was for this trip that I decided to cancel my planned 200 mile kayak trip to be able to make this sojourn with my youngest daughter.

It was a road trip that I will never forget.

Although we made many "stops" along the way, we mapped out three primary destination points: the Pipestone Quarry in MN, the Black Hills in SD, and Yosemite in CA. For those that visit often, you'll recognize the importance of the first two stops to Native American cultures.

As someone with a background in geology, the trip was a "candy store" of observations. As a father, it was an opportunity to spend some quality time with my daughter, who is an exceptional co-pilot. And as an American, it gave me a greater appreciation for this vast country of ours and how we are truly all connected.

At some point in the future, I may crank out a few posts with greater detail about some of the stops, thoughts and revelations we had during our six day, 3,658 mile journey. For now, I'll post some pics and get started on my weekend project list that awaits.

  

Above: The Three Maidens @ Pipestone, MN
Below: The Oracle @ Pipestone, MN

 
Below: Winniwissa Falls @ Pipestone, MN
 
 
Below: The Badlands, SD
 
 
Below: Our first glimpse of Mt. Rushmore
 
 
 
Above: Mountain Goats along the road
Below: Side view of George @ Mt. Rushmore
 
 
Below: A stop along the Bozeman Trail
 
 
Below: I just can't seem to get away from this stuff...
 
 
Below: Entrance to Crazy Horse Memorial
 
 
 
Above: Observation Deck @ Crazy Horse, SD
Below: Wyoming + Nevada: straight, flat @ 75 (+) mph
 
 
Below: The remains of an Ancient Sequoia
 
 
More on the Badlands and Yosemite in future posts.
 
Have a good weekend.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment