Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, November 27, 2011

2011 Black Friday Road Trip - Part II

  
Anyway, I decided to get my daily walk in by following Creek Trail as far as ~20 minutes would take me one way. There were quite a few photo ops as Tobyhanna Creek chattered alongside the trail.




There was also plenty of evidence of beaver activity.



When I was on my way back, I was passing through a relatively swampy area when I heard an unmistakable "whoosh" off to my left in the dense underbrush. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked toward where I thought the sound came from. A few seconds later, another throaty and deeper whoosh...and then the sound of something moving fairly quickly - and thankfully - away from me in the vegetation less than ~20 yards away. I still get an adrenaline rush when I mentally replay what I'm sure was less than 30 seconds in duration from start to finish. 


After a brief pause to make sure there was nothing ahead of me on the trail or along the swamp's edge, I picked up the pace - just a little - and headed back toward my car. No more streamside pics for this guy.

The picnic area near the parking lot looks to be relatively new, and I hope to be back at some point in the future next year.



As I planned to pass through the town of Jim Thorpe on my way home, I turned off Rte. 115 onto Rte. 903 when I spotted a roadside market with some unique items for sale. From left to right, prices ranged from $100 to $1,700.

Fortunately...they don't make any noises.
 



For all you football-a-holics out there, you might want to read up about Jim Thorpe, the man, and one of the greatest athletes of the last century.




Next up, Jim Thorpe - the town - and the stories it has to tell.

Later.
  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Don

    45 years ago that area was my home away from home.

    Thanks for the story and photos - they bring back great memories.

    Never had any close calls with bears though...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFeCn7998Zc

    Best,
    John

    ReplyDelete