Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Monday, September 6, 2010

Methane Madness: Paradise Lost

   
Folks, I'm still well below par. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but I started to feel nauseous shortly after I left the bubble field on the river. I was in that area for ~ 10 minutes taking pics and videos. It's been followed by a 24+ hour headache, which I am not used to getting.

This will be a brief post by my standards.

I drove up to Bradford County on Sunday to see the "bubbling waters" on the Susquehanna for myself. I rented a kayak, paddled for about three miles, and found more than I bargained for.

The video below is brief, but the largest area of bubbles I saw was approximately 50 feet wide by ~100 to 150 feet long near the western shore of the NORTH branch of the Susquehanna River downstream from the Wyalusing bridge.


  
.
Bubbling Waters from Don Williams on Vimeo.


In the greatest area of concentration I witnessed, there were multiple x multiple streams of large bubbles. These were steady streams of bubbles...not an occasional hiccup. The pics below may not do what I saw justice, but I hope you get the idea.  Note: If you click on the pics below, most browsers will open a much larger version with much better detail.





And of course, Chesapeake Energy has nothing to do with this.




Water and air, the two essential fluids on which all life depends, have become global garbage cans.

-Jacques Cousteau (1910-1997)

+++

No one has the right to use America's rivers and America's Waterways that belong to all the people as a sewer. The banks of a river may belong to one man or one industry or one State, but the waters which flow between the banks should belong to all the people.

-Lyndon B. Johnson (1908-1973) 36th U.S. President, signing the 1965 Clean Water Act

+++

In a mucked up lovely river, I cast my little fly.
I look at that river and smell it and it makes me wanna cry.
Oh to clean our dirty planet, now there's a noble wish,
and I'm puttin my shoulder to the wheel
'cause I wanna catch some fish.

-Greg Brown, "Spring Wind" from Dream Café, 1992



I tried to save this carp...pushing it to deeper waters. It was its time, I guess.

I'll be back.
  

1 comment: