Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Friday, March 17, 2023

FATHER...Father, The sleeper has awakened

     

When I breathe my last, after fondly embracing the memories of my family and friends, my final flashback will be remembering that - for as long as I lived - the Susquehanna River flowed freely through the valley of my birth. After two decades of twisting arms and spewing fabricated facts using any soapbox available, a 13-term U.S. Congressman and his cast of cronies who wanted to dam the river near Wilkes-Barre PA were defeated by, as one of my fellow bloggers put it many years ago... The Power of One.

   

Here we are 15 years later, and the Susquehanna River is facing yet another significant environmental threat further downstream. As I always do, I am spending my time learning as much as possible about the project, the processes involved, and the players behind the facade. Their pockets are deep, but not unlimited. 

   

So far, their playbook and talking points are a carbon copy of just about everything I've seen and heard over the years. More jobs. Higher paying jobs. Tax revenue. Environmentally safe. We care about and want to be part of the community. Blah. blah. blah. 

   

Stale, at best, or to quote Spock from The Wrath of Kahn: 

"Two dimensional thinking..." 

   

I've been here before. I know what it takes. I just have to decide whether it's worth my while to jump in once again.  Looking at a calendar...Earth Day is right around the corner. 

   

April 22nd will be my Rubicon moment. 







****444****

No comments:

Post a Comment