Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"Necessary Sacrifice"

I got a call today while at work from a young lady I spoke with several weeks ago. Previously, she had asked me for some questions to include in an upcoming interview. With graduations and work and travel and more work, I had almost completely forgotten about our prior exchange until she jogged my memory today.

And jog it she did. As I promised many of the points discussed would remain off record; so be it. However, I did indicate that I would use these two words from our conversation in my next post: necessary sacrifice.

I was so stunned when I heard them that I stopped the flow of our conversation and asked her to verify what I thought she had just said. Once again: necessary sacrifice.

In the context of discussing what has happened to private property rights and related-quality of life issues as a result of the natural gas drilling frenzy, the interviewee's response was: necessary sacrifice. Your land. Your water, your health,  the value of your property, the quality of your life...all are viewed as: NECESSARY SACRIFICE. 

This is how BIG OIL views you, your property...your way of life. PERIOD.

If you still need to read more...check out the closing quote of this NPR piece.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah Don - now you're talk'n. We are disposable - and they are ravenous.
    Same as it ever was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And who are these people that demand the sacrifice of basic human and constitutional rights? Why, Orwell's piggies of course, so quick to explain how some animals are more equal than others. I've seen word "sacrifice" referenced wrt energy sacrifice zones. The good folks of western CO live in one. In my mind, anyone who lives above hydrocarbon-rich shale is in a sacrifice zone.

    Your post is an amazing catch. But be careful - NPR will rot your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude...you are an amazing artist. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that others might more honestly call the people and ecosystems on and around the Marcellus Shale as "collateral damage." A real horror show.

    ReplyDelete