Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dr. Engelder: I want a copy of that map!


I almost choked when I read this one:

Terry Engelder, a professor of geosciences at Penn State, testified that hydraulic fracturing at depth will not threaten the quality of surface water due to the interconnected fractures that are well mapped.

Engelder said there are two areas of concern regarding water quality. They include leaking retaining pits by overflow or line raptures and methane in ground water. He said both problems can be anticipated and mitigated.

"The question remains, do we as citizens of the state of Pennsylvania have the good will to seize the opportunity offered by the Marcellus and make this opportunity something that is in the best interest of everyone?" Engelder said. "I think the answer is yes."

The rest of the article can be found here.

As a professor at Penn State University, I think Dr. Engelder is crossing some lines. 

Time to write a letter.

P.S.: I do want a copy of those "well-mapped" fractures. Send me the price, and I'll stroke a check.

P.P.S.: Are these fractures @ FE Walter Dam on that map?


3 comments:

  1. It's gonna take a lot of letters.
    Terry Engelder has done almost as much harm as anyone short of those with real power. In addition to his position at State College he owns a firm which consults with the frackers and then uses his academic position to propagandize for them.
    He is shameless and self righteous and needs to be exposed for the shill that he is.
    Please see his column in the Inquirer on Apr 28 and note the outstanding comments by Jim Barth of Damascus Citizens.
    The college's Cooperative Extension has an arm which deals exclusively with Marcellus Shale drilling and is essentially engaged in PR for the frackers.
    It's almost diabolical.
    Take heart Don - the tide is rising - but it's gonna take a lot more than letters.
    Thanks & keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude...write on I will. Check out my posts of 2/14, 3/7 and 4/29. I got Dr. E. dead center in my sights - speaking metaphorically, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Don - turns out I did read those posts but forgot they were yours - sorry - been reading so many blogs from so many places I'm on information overload. I do grab any opportunity to jump on that guy. Take Care

    ReplyDelete