Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Monday, September 7, 2015

Waiting for the next Hurricane Lee


Work, chores, work...never seems to end.
 
As stated in a prior post, I've been spending a lot of my time working on one of my family history blogs. I'm currently in a holding pattern waiting for the results of some research to try to find one of my ancestors who died as a youth somewhere between 1900 and 1909. The cemetery most believe he is buried in has no records, so I am paying some folks in the Luzerne County Courthouse to see what they have on file. If they have nothing, then it's on to Scranton.
 
As we approach and pass the fourth anniversary of the Susquehanna's flooding in September 2011, a lot of articles like this have been popping up over the last few days. Somewhere in a folder or electronic file I have a copy of a letter to the editor I wrote almost a decade ago that brings up the same points. I spent over an hour looking for it yesterday, and decided it will show up at some point when I really don't need it. For a refresher course on September 2011, check out this link.
 
And here are some posts of mine from the same week, and another I wrote after the 2011 flooding which I believe should be used by folks in the Wyoming Valley in the years ahead.
 
Chances are pretty good I will witness another major flooding event on the Susquehanna in my lifetime, and all the levees...old and new, will not be able to stop it.

 
Enjoy Labor Day.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment