Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Flood of Flashbacks: Weekend Weminiscing


For some unknown reason, I am experiencing a flood of family flashbacks over the past few days, so I decided to do another "Weminiscing" post, scour the hard drive, throw my mind in neutral, and see where it took me.
 
First, we recently sold a home that had been in our family for over 87 years. The home my mother was born in, and a home full of memories. My grandparents raised eight children under its roof, and a Gold Star mother graced that dwelling from 1944 until 1968.

 
 
 
 
 For me personally, selling that home was a tough decision...and still is.
 

 
Above: Me and my maternal grandmother circa ~1959

 
 
Above: My maternal grandparents circa 1947.
Below: My sister and I in ~1977.

 
 
Above: Chris and I in our basement gym, a.k.a. "the Pit".
Below: Walking down the sidewalk one last time.
 

Additionally, my wife's parent's home will be going to closing within the next two weeks. Her parents built their home in 1957, and raised a family of five children under its roof. My wife worked incredibly hard to make sure her parents stayed in that home for as long as they could - and as comfortably as possible - before they passed away within six weeks of each other earlier this year.

 
Below: Light from above, or dust on the lens?
Pic taken on the day of my mother-in-law's funeral.
 
 
 
Between both homes, 144 years of memories...ne'er to be forgotten.
 
 My son will be entering his first sanctioned powerlifting meet next weekend. I wish I could be there, but hopefully there will be others. Based upon his training lifts, he should cross the 300 BP and 500 DL barriers at a bodyweight of ~205.

 
Below: Same bar...~35 years earlier @ my parent's home.
P.S.: Squats were really fun...
 
 
And now, we are building a library of memories in our own home.
 
Many years from now, whether it's my wife and I, or our children, there will be a final walk through that will take place. When that door closes and the keys are handed over to someone else, I hope the good memories of decades past will be enough to last a lifetime. 
 
 
Above: Christmas 2009
Below: Christmas 2011
 
 
 
Above: HS Graduation party 2009
Below: Thanksgiving 2008 with my children & parents.
 
 
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, folks.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment