Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Circling Back: German Women are Gorgeous!


As it appears my return to work is more than likely just around the corner, I want to address several items from the past few weeks that have been waiting in the wings due to an incredibly hectic personal calendar. First on the list: the July 4th ceremony at the Wyoming Monument.

I've scanned the cover and agenda from this year's 16-page booklet.


+  +  +
 


For those into local history, patriotic music, and plenty of red white and blue dresses, ties and hats; in my humble opinion, this is the place to start your day on the 4th of July in the Wyoming Valley. I think this was my 6th or 7th time attending this event, and I look forward to returning many times in the decades to follow.

Under the superb leadership of Bandmaster Donald R. Williams, the musical portion of the event was excellent. My only comment about the keynote speaker was that he failed to mention Benjamin Franklin's well-known views on the original inhabitants of Pennsylvania and their important role in the early days of the colonization of America. It would have been totally appropriate considering the venue. Perhaps next year's speaker will choose a topic befitting the memory and souls of those that fought, died and are buried only a few yards away.

On a personal note; characterizing German women as being, umm, unattractive - in jest or not and regardless of the context - is not what I would include in a keynote presentation on July 4th at this hallowed place.

Above: My (German) maternal grandmother at age 24.

'Nuff said.

Here are a few more pics from the ceremony.


 
Below: Red, white & blue tie - Made in China...
 
I wonder what would happen if we ALL only bought "Made in USA" products?  
 
 
 
 
 
Up next:
 
My comments on the recent drownings on the Susquehanna.
  

2 comments: