Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Thursday, May 30, 2013

As time marches on...


 
I'm sure there was a reason why, on Memorial Day 2013, and elderly couple from Germany - on their first visit to America - found their way to the Forty-Fort Cemetery in northeastern Pennsylvania.
 
I'm sure there was a reason their daughter asked to have a picture taken with us.
 
I'm sure...but I just don't know why.
 
Four great-great-grandchildren of Edward C. Williams ( 1880-1961 ) (and Sarah Maude Stewart ( 1879-1960 )), who first marched in this parade with his brothers on Decoration Day in 1891, participated - for the 123rd consecutive year - in the West Side Memorial Day parade.
 
Andrew carried the flag.
Lisa played the fife.
Bryan played the drum.
And Lauren played "Taps."  
 
And somewhere, I'm sure - Ed, Tom and Sam Williams smiled.
 
As did my father.
 
All photos by D. LeVasseur
 
 
In tribute.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment