Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

S(h)ad Tales of Bygone Days


 At one time well over two centuries ago, before the dam building craze on the lower Susquehanna began, this river was arguably the greatest shad river on the planet. Many of the articles I remember reading over the years about the early spring shad runs have disappeared from the web, but somewhere on a disk or in a folder in a box in my basement, I know I'll come across them in the days ahead.

Here are two screenshots from a great book on this topic:


 




And as I've stated over the years, I fully believe the Susquehanna was once a cool or cold water fishery and had plentiful salmon runs and a significant trout population as well.

More in a few days.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment