Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Scanning the Past

  
 
Samuel J. Williams & family circa ~1895

 
 
Pics above & below circa ~1910
 
 
Based upon an email I received several months ago, I know at least a few folks remember my numerous posts about wanting to step away from blogging about all this Marcellus nonsense and finish some long delayed projects.
 
Well...here we go again. Only this time, with my new high-end scanner parked right next to my laptop, I will have no excuses.
 
My great-great grandfather, Samuel J. Williams, was the first commercial barber in Edwardsville (Luzerne County), PA. His grandsons, Samuel and Urban, are in the pic directly above. I'm not sure who the other two boys are. Above that is a pic of Samuel's son and my great grandfather, Edward C. Williams, his wife, Sarah M. (Stewart) Williams and their sons, Urban (with bowtie) and my grandfather, Samuel L. Williams. I'm not sure who the woman on the left is.
 
Sam doesn't look too happy in either pic above. I hope his grandfather didn't give him that haircut.
 
Anyway, I have hundreds of similar pics dating back over a century that I'm going to start scanning in the weeks ahead. Once I wrap up my posts about the Susquehannocks, I'll devote 80% of the time I normally set aside for blogging to that project. 
 
I have no idea what I'm going to find tucked away in all the boxes, envelopes and albums I've yet to open, but I am looking forward to that journey of discovery.
 
Time is fleeting, folks. Cherish every moment...and don't pitch those family pictures or newspaper clippings!!!
 
 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment