Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Kayak named Tequila


UPDATE: June 7, 2014  
 
There continues to be quite a bit of traffic to this specific post.
 
My comments:
 
1. This is a great kayak. I've had it on lakes and Class 1 rivers.
 
2. It is very stable and tracks well. With three people, I feel as comfortable/safe in it as I do in my Perception Jocassee.
 
3. My only advice: Put it together on the water. I made the mistake once of putting all 4 sections together and then trying to carry it to the water. Too much flex and stress on the connecting straps.
 
4. Been kayaking/boating 40+ years. This kayak is a keeper.
 
5. Only problem so far: One of the seat posts broke. L.L. Bean replaced it without a hassle.
 
6. Enjoy!
 
+  +  +

 Here's the original post:

I don't subscribe to Popular Science, but I guess it's not too often that a kayak makes PopSci's annual Best of What's New list.

This kayak did in 2010.

As I haven't been on the water in the past 2 or 3 years as much as I'd like, I haven't been keeping up with what's new in the world of kayaks. However, when I stopped in L.L. Bean's flagship store in Freeport in early July and saw the Point 65N sit-on-top kayak on the showroom floor, I knew I had some research to do.
  
As part of their ongoing 100 year anniversary celebration, LLB received 100 center sections from the kayak's manufacturer to help them celebrate this milestone. And....once LLB was done  with all these extra pieces, the deal struck was that LLB could give away the center sections FREE ( a $500 value ) to anyone that bought a new modular Point 65N Tequila kayak.
  


     
Along with the modular design....FREE was the incentive that pushed me into "Buy" mode.
  
I did have to sell one of my kayaks in order to get approval for this purchase from my financial advisor...and once my Freedom SOT kayak was sold after two test paddles...and the cash was in hand, I called LLB and ~5 days later, the four boxes were neatly stacked in my driveway.



If all works out, I'm planning its maiden voyage for sometime over Labor Day weekend.

Here are a few more pics of what is now the largest kayak in my fleet. This will take ramming speed to a whole new level.




Later.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment