Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

WE INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAMMING...

   

I posted the commentary below elsewhere this morning. I held off for ~48 hours for a variety of reasons, the least of which was not wanting the guys with the dark glasses and earbuds knocking at my front door...or to raise the ire of the mindless lemmings out there. 

      *****

I had a long ride ahead of me Monday morning and, unfortunately, the news cycle was dominated by yet another mass shooting; this time at a bank in Louisville KY. I listened to the event as it unfolded from when it first hit the airwaves before 10a until the first scheduled update/press conference at ~3p.  At best, it was disturbing.

As I anticipated, it was only a matter of minutes before those scripted talking points asking for "thoughts and prayers" and offering "now is not the time" were uttered by folks stepping up to the microphone.

The 2nd Amendment was ratified in December 1791. As a lifelong student of history, I know that - in 1791 - fresh in the memories of all the men that ratified the Bill of Rights were the French & Indian War, the Battle of Wyoming, the winter at Valley Forge, the Revolutionary War...and what it was like to be fighting the armies of several foreign countries with boots on the ground in North America.

I wonder how many children, teachers, moms, dads, grandparents - and folks looking forward to retirement - have to be slaughtered in schools, at work, and in places of worship before our elected "leaders" grow a pair and say 'enough'? As one of the folks talking about the event on Monday offered: 'They're not concerned about doing the right thing, they're concerned about losing their jobs in the next election.' I say vote them all out.

Here are just a few of our fellow Americans that we've lost in the past two weeks...

*****






The teacher pictured directly above - Dr. Katherine Koonce, 60 - ended a Zoom call when she heard the first shot and ran toward the shooter. She was shot and killed. I rarely tear up these days...but I do every time I look into her eyes. If only our elected 'leaders' had a minuscule fraction of her courage and resolve.

R.I.P., Katherine.  You will not be forgotten.


****444****
   

No comments:

Post a Comment