Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Another Preventable Tragedy



As of now, a woman and her dog are dead, and a 3 year-old is missing. 

Read more about it here.

Over the years, I have posted several warnings about the danger of lowhead dams. They are not called the "perfect drowning machines" for nothing. Even if wearing a PFD, the odds of surviving being caught in the dam's backwash are slim to none.

Here's another primer about their danger. As the article states:

"It is nearly impossible to escape the strength of the hydraulic when trapped."


I have paddled after sunset many times...but never on a river.

I took a PFBC boating safety course many years ago. 

In my humble opinion...it should be mandatory. 

My condolences to all affected by this tragedy.

***

UPDATE: The body of Madelyn Binkley has been found. 

***


No comments:

Post a Comment