Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Peppers, Protests & PA Ponderings


As summer winds down, I look forward to what is probably my favorite season of the year.

My ~forty superhot pepper plants are kicking their output into high gear, and after having sampled both a Moruga Scorpion and a Bhut Jolokia Ghost pepper recently, I know the blended hot sauce I will be making in the next few weeks will be an in-your-face assault on the senses.

Can't wait.


 

As many folks know, when I discovered that Chesapeake Energy and Williams Energy were sponsoring RiverFest  ( on the Susquehanna River ) a few years ago, I decided to protest the decision to accept money from the natural gas industry. I know I damaged and/or ended several longtime relationships as a result of my decision not to cancel the protest, but as I was lied to by one of the organizers, I have no regrets.

Anyway, we received quite a bit of press coverage that day, and several groups joined in. However, there was one woman from a local fracktivist group with a bullhorn that - in my opinion - crossed some lines in her zeal to get her mug shot on the evening news. Barking at the paddlers below was totally inappropriate, and as some may remember, I brought it to a very quick halt.




From that point forward, I decided to take a totally different route if and when I chose to conduct similar events in the future. That way, if things turned south, I would have no one to blame but me.

I plan to attend NEPA Blog Con on October 5th. I plan to visit any display/tables that the various sponsors set up, and I plan to conduct myself as I always have.

No lines to read between there.

As most who visit know, the frequency of my posting here has slowed down considerably, as I've been spending a lot more time updating my two family history blogs. I find my time spent there far more rewarding right now, and for the short-term, I will be allocating the majority of any "free" time I have to the Williams & Raykovitz Chronicles.

Finally, I'm sure that most of you have already seen that our good Governor has nominated the acting secretaries for PA's DEP and DCNR to become the real deals. Going back to our days at Wilkes College, I've known Ellen Ferretti for 35+ years. We spent quite a bit of time together, both in and out of the classrooms and labs, and I've kept in touch with her over the past few decades. If left to do her own thing at the DCNR, I'm sure she'd do a great job. However, she will be working for Tom Corbett.

'Nuff said on that issue.

The choice for nominee for DEP Secretary is an absolute joke. If anyone wants to organize an in-your-face protest in front of the DEP in Harrisburg or elsewhere, give me a shout. Be more than happy to pull that together.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
  
P.S.:  J.H., watch for a package later this week. My way of saying Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment