Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, March 20, 2011

S.O.S. - Susquehanna's Outfitters Silent

  
I am more than a little disappointed at the lack of noise coming from the Susquehanna's boating and fishing outfitters about the threat posed to the Susquehanna by the expansion of natural gas drilling in the Marcellus Shale region. In some cases, we've heard nary a peep from some folks who earn a significant portion of their living from river-related activities.

And that, my friends, is unacceptable to this river advocate. The continued unrestrained expansion of natural gas drilling in the Susquehanna's watershed constitutes the biggest threat to this river's ecosystem since the colonization of this continent began over four centuries ago. If not stopped, its long-term negative impact - and it will be negative for sure - will dwarf the aftermath of the lumber and coal industry combined.

Three of the biggest outfitters on the north branch participate in the annual RiverFest event held in the Wyoming Valley in June. I hope they've taken a position by then. I truly do.

Hey...welcome to the first day of Spring in the northern hemisphere. I'm up a little early for a sunrise pic, so how about a slowly setting full moon? I've added a few more pics from the last full day of Winter.

Get out and celebrate our planet and life itself today!

Below: Where I get our milk and eggs...straight from a local farm.


Below: My outdoor wireless temperature sensor. Every year, a pair of Eastern Phoebes build their nest on it. I saw them scoping it out yesterday, so I'll be putting in fresh batteries today so I don't have to disturb the nest until well after the chicks have fledged.


The crocus are blooming, with the hyacinths soon to follow.




   To the SRW guys: Up for a biggest smallie in 2011 challenge?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment