Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Monday, February 21, 2011

Paradise Lost

 

I spent Sunday in the eye of the Marcellus Maelstrom in northeastern PA. For all you media-types, I'd highly recommend you do the same. I put over 330 miles on my car, and have over 200 new pics and quite a bit of video footage. For now, I'll post just the pictures taken on Paradise Road, Terry Township, Bradford County, PA and a few other locations. More in the days and weeks ahead.

All below are on Paradise Road unless otherwise noted.


The road is unpaved.




The house next door. Both wells have been rendered useless, thanks to the Welles family, the SRBC, and Chesapeake Appalachia.


The closest drilling site ~1/4 mile down the road.





That's it for Paradise (Lost) Road. Here are a few more:

Truck traffic was noticably heavier than my last visit on a Sunday. I stopped counting at 100 water tankers.


New drillpads are visible from Rte. 6. There were two homes within a few hundred yards of this one.


A closer look.


Wonder what all this truck traffic is doing to the roads?


Even the train traffic has increased significantly since my last visit.



The mighty, ancient Susquehanna River @ Wysox, PA


My friends, we are teetering on the brink of an environmental tragedy and travesty that will haunt us for far more than seven generations. IMHO, far too many people are sitting this one out.

My expedited saw-sharpening hiatus is almost over. Thanks to everyone who took the time to meet with me yesterday.

Stay tuned.
     

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff!!! Did the log home stick it to the brick home???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. They both were equally fracked by the family (Welles) that leased the land for drilling. I've heard that the methane build-up in the brick home got so bad that the owners had to leave for a few days until they could install venting devices similar to what is used to remove radon from homes. Who would want to buy a home with these problems, let alone live there? It's a sad situation which will be repeated hundreds of times unless the madness stops.

    ReplyDelete