Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Saturday, April 17, 2010

4/17/2010 - Weekend Weminiscing


I had a plan to post pics of my bloomin' orchids this weekend, but another thought crossed my mind this morning and I'm going to run with it.

Before I begin, if money was really not an issue, I'd like everyone reading this to close their eyes and envision their perfect retirement home. Brick by brick, room by room...build it.

See it completed.

Picture Thanksgiving morning...the grandkids running up the driveway with autumn leaves swirling in the wind, a snowy Christmas Eve by the fireplace, sunrise on the 4th of July...and burgers & brewskis on Labor Day.  

Okay...hold those thoughts.  

My cousin ( once removed ) Glenn and his wife, Carol, live on a beautiful ~60 acre parcel sitting almost on top of a mountain overlooking Binghamton, NY. It's got woods, a small stream, and lots of turkey, deer and other critters. I'm not sure of the exact timing of when Glenn bought the land from a farmer, but this was their retirement home. There were - if I recall correctly - three large outbuildings, including a massive state-of-the-art wood-working shop, and over-sized detached garage, and a newly-built small A-frame type cabin sitting close to the woods that was just a neat place to get away for a card game or a few beers on a Saturday night. It had a porch, a wood-burning stove, bunk beds, and the floors, walls and ceiling were solid maple (or hemlock?) that was milled from trees harvested on his property. Glenn always had a major project underway, with three more behind it in various stages of design or completion. My son and I were looking forward to spending a night or two at the cabin at some point this spring or summer.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. Why? Because Glenn has sold his retirement property and is moving away. Not too far away....but away. Why? Because everyone around him has signed leases for  Marcellus Shale drilling. And when those big rigs started fracturing the bedrock a mile below, and those big trucks started rumbling up and down his small winding country road, and when his well became contaminated, Glenn knew what would happen to the value of his property.

Based upon what I've seen, Glenn is a shrewd and successful investor and he knew it was time to cut his potential losses, liquidate and move on. 

For those that read and write about the Marcellus Maelstrom that our legislators are too weak-kneed to doing anything to stop, I offer these pics as additional evidence of the far-reaching impact this exploitation of our natural resources is having, and will have for generations to come, on the lives of all who live in the MSZ.

Glenn: you are a far better man than I am. Right now, I'd be looking for something to....

Glenn & Don - Cousins
Some view, eh?
Family Gathering - April 2008
Great spot for a drillpad...
Doing Donuts in the front yard
Paxton Boys 2010 - Glenn, me, my Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment