Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Monday, February 15, 2010

Remembering Iron Eyes

I've had a couple of inquiries regarding the picture of "Iron Eyes" Cody at the end of my Revelation 4:44 post. I guess I have to remember that a lot of bloggers out there were not around for the first Earth Day.

For folks of my generation, this was one of the most widely-viewed ( and remembered ) commercials of its time. If you're under 40, you may not remember this. Does that make me old?



Several months ago, I asked if a fellow blogger would arrange an introduction to someone in the Tunkhannock area who had leased their land for drilling and now regretted it. That connection was never made. The offer is still on the table.

Blank the political wannabes. The vast majority will fade into oblivion once the polls close. We have a watershed to save, and that's not going away anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. That was one sad Italian guy!

    http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/ironeyes.asp

    But it was also a very effective and memorable ad. Sometimes I shudder to think of where we would be if the rates of pollution and environmental degradation continued to follow the arcs they were on in the 1960's and 1970's. We are in bad shape now, but things would be much worse today if not for the brakes being put on - hard - back then.

    And now it's our turn to make sure that the pace of environmental devastation doesn't accelerate out of control once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so old, I was on Iron Eyes' Buck Buck team in the 4th grade at Bradley School, Derby, CT.

    ReplyDelete