Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Thursday, May 6, 2010

EnCana: Serwquacksi




The graphic above was taken from today's Times Leader.

According to the file date, I snagged the bitmap of Luzerne County below in 1999. Can anyone locate Campbell's Ledge, Toby's Creek, the Ceasetown Rez. or Harvey's Lake? I can.


As evidenced by one of the comments in yesterday's Citizen's Voice, people are now recognizing what's about to happen and giving fair notice there will be repercussions. We need more folks who feel the same way to join in. The first graphic above should scare the hell out of anyone with an IQ above 50.

Growing up in Luzerne County, I had some great science teachers in grade school, high school and college. Those I remember include George Black, O.C. Sparks, Chuck Mattei, and Dr.'s Bruce Berryman, Mohamed El-Ashry, Jeff Cline and Fred Bellas. Like with most things in my life, if the topic interested me, I dove into the subject matter with absolute and total passion. If it didn't...I could probably not open a book more than a few times and get a C or B with minimal effort. The paper below is from ~1969.


Anyway, I openly admit I have a real and serious problem regarding this whole Marcellus Shale ploy. Thanks to some really great teachers and a lifelong passion about the science of the environment....my problem is that I GET IT! Without having to read another book or attend another symposium, I truly grasp that pumping millions of gallons of chemical-laden water underground ( ~80% of which stays down there ) and fracturing bedrock a mile or so below the surface is going to have devastating environmental impacts that will last generations and cost billions to remediate, if that will even be possible. And while companies like EnCana, Whitmar, Chesapeake and others pocket their billion$ from the rape of our lands and waters, our children and grandchildren will be left holding the empty, contaminated bag.

It is clearly evident that the "leaders" of Luzerne County, and those that represent that region in Harrisburg and Washington, have failed to learn the ugly lessons of the past that are still evident from just about every vantage point in the Wyoming Valley. In my opinion, the only real hope is if the voters of northeastern PA pump new blood into this fray by electing people who openly support a moratorium on all drilling as a major plank on their platform. If they change positions after taking the oath of office, we can talk about tarring and feathering separately.

Unfortunately, for the land and waters and people of Luzerne County, I know what lies ahead, and must now prepare for the whirlwind to come.

To my friend "The Susquehannock"...agaendeero.

To EnCana:  serwquacksi


1 comment:

  1. Great set of posts as always. Love the music video and BBC! We have been busy with lobbying, zoning issues, legal initiatives, and fundraising. Who would have thought in February that the "M" word was not be political suicide. I sometimes allow myself to dream of a TKO.

    Best to you Dude,

    Herb

    ReplyDelete