Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Neither snow nor...


When I first called my employer's emergency hotline this morning, there was a 2 hour delay due to the weather ( heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain ) hitting the SEPA region. As I was up at my normal time...I showered, dressed and hopped in my car for the ~6 mile commute to the train station. As the snow was going to continue for several hours, I figured the earlier I got on the road...the better.
 
At ~7:10 a.m., there were hardly any other vehicles out on the back roads I traveled except snow plows. By the time I got to Lansdale, the snow was at least 6 inches deep in some spots, and I had plenty of parking spots to choose from.

 
 
About 3 minutes before the next train would have pulled in, I received a text that our office in center city Philadelphia was closed for the day. So back in the car, back on the ( in most cases ) yet to be plowed roads, and homeward bound I went.
 
Due to an extremely slippery commute a few weeks ago, we decided to get 4 new snow tires mounted on our 2007 Prius late last week. We saved the all-season radials, and will switch back to them in ~May. Because of the array of large batteries in the Prius, it has a curb weight at least ~400 lbs. more than a similarly sized non-hybrid 4 door vehicle. 
 
My opinion/rating: With good snow tires and FWD...it is an absolute beast in the snow.  
 
As I sit here pecking away at the keyboard, there are still blizzard-like conditions raging outside, and it looks like this little corner of Montgomery County is at 12" and counting.
 
Sorry about the incorrect date at the beginning of the video. I'll chalk it up to either not enough coffee or partially frozen brain cells.
  

13 Feb 2014: Pax Pounds Southeastern PA from Don Williams on Vimeo.


Have a great day, and if you have to drive in this stuff, don't forget to maintain a safe speed, a safe distance from the car in front of you, and put your lights on!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment