Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Unfinished Business

    
I promised to follow-up on two recent posts, so I'll wrap things up today.    



The ripple-effect of the Conestoga Massacres in December 1763 went on for years. Actually, I guess it's more like centuries. I've covered most of what I knew about this event in December's posts, as I do every year. I only recently discovered I was barely scratching the surface.

A few weeks back, I was perusing the "local" book offerings at the Wilkes-King's bookstore in Wilkes-Barre, PA when I spotted the title above. For anyone who is interested in learning more about the turbulent times that led up to the massacre of the last of the Susquehannocks, I'd highly recommend you buy this book, as it is the best I've read so far about this event. The names of folks involved before, during and after the murders read like a who's who of PA history: Elder and Stewart, Shippen and Rittenhouse, Franklin and Penn, Conyngham and Hershey...and much to my surprise, the Royal Scottish Highlanders.

For an eye-opening glimpse of an ugly event in PA's history: ISBN 978-1-60949-061-4.

Speaking of ugly, the other item needing closure is Scarnati's Super Bowl Scandal.


My wife and I attended Super Bowl XXX in Scottsdale, Arizona in January 1996.

My employer paid for everything, as I was awarded the trip after being chosen as 1995's "Outstanding Contributor" to the success of a large multi-state bank once known as United Jersey Bank ( First Valley Bank in PA ).  Considering my competition was the 5,000+ other employees at UJB/FVB, I regard that award and recognition as one of my proudest accomplishments ( to date ) in my business career. Beginning in 1993, I built PA's residential mortgage division from scratch; hiring 45+ people to staff three regional offices in Radnor, Allentown and Wilkes-Barre. In the areas of customer service, operational proficiency and profitability, simply put; we excelled. A lot of folks worked very hard to make that happen, and if I could have taken them all along with me to SB XXX, I would have. 

PA Senator Joe Scarnati did nothing of merit to earn his free ride to Super Bowl XLV, and he was rightfully exposed for it. Of course, he did nothing wrong...

This "leader" can't carry my BlackBerry when it comes to ethics, commitment and producing results. He's nothing more than a shill for the natural gas and oil industry, and he should RESIGN. And for pointing out all of Senator Scarnati's shortfalls, I apologize.

There, I feel much better.

Happy Saturday morning...and have a good weekend.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment