+ + +

+  +  +

To All First Time Visitors

I've noticed a significant increase in the number of first time visitors in the past 30 days.

First & foremost: Welcome!

As a brief intro; I've been blogging since 1999. I have a degree in Earth & Environmental Science, and have twice taken the Susquehanna River to the #1 spot on American Rivers annual "Most Endangered" list; first in 2005 and again in 2011. I stopped counting when I hit the 2,000 mile mark paddling on the Susquehanna.

When it comes to my favorite river and the environmental challenges it continues to face, I've forgotten more than most of the newly-ordained "experts" out there. To that end, I've scaled back my public activism over the past few years out of sheer frustration at the (mostly) clueless cacophony coming from the new crop of wannabes seeking their 15 seconds of...whatever.

Unfortunately, I'm getting restless again.

Stay tuned.

+ + +

Thursday, January 10, 2013

SRBC Approves another 64.9 Billion GPY in Consumptive Water Withdrawals

  
  
Drop by drop by drop, PA's waters are being $iphoned away from future generations of Pennsylvanians and sold to the natural gas industry.

According to a notice by the Susquehanna River Basin Commission published in the Federal Register today, between the period of October 1 through November 30, 2012, the SRBC approved 37 projects - all for the natural gas industry - allowing consumptive use ( i.e. never to return to the water cycle ) of 178.1 million gallons of water per day, or put another way, 64.97 BILLION gallons of fresh water per year.

Gee...I wonder how many red-blooded river advocates attended the SRBC's December 14th quarterly meeting?

This is a tragedy.

  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment