Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Stones & Bones: The Detritus of 500 Generations

 
 
I have kayaked over 2,000 miles on the north branch of the Susquehanna River, and have introduced many new folks to the river through the paddling trips I have organized and participated in.
 
 
Over the years, I have stopped at many islands and shorelines, getting down on my hands and knees and scouring the ground looking for relics/remnants from the past.
 
  
 


 
I wonder how many centuries ago some (perhaps) Native American child etched two holes in the pieces above and below. The "mouth" in the stone below is a piece of fossilized shell.
 
 
 
I've read hundreds of books and journals about the Susquehanna dating back to the 1600's. Better than most, I understand what has been lost in less than 10 generations.  
 
 
 
Those that walked before us took what they needed for survival, not for profit. We, on the other hand, take all we can and then look for more.
  
Centuries from now, when a future river advocate stops on some island in the Susquehanna, I wonder what they will find? How will they view us as stewards of our environment?  
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
Later.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment