Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Around the Next Bend


My earliest memory of the Susquehanna River is walking over the Market Street bridge in the mid-60's and my Mom pointing out how low the river was due to "the drought". Many years later when doing some research on the Susquehanna's historical stream flow...there it was.
 
 
And my fascination with and connection to this river has never ended.
 
I have dozens, if not hundreds, of similar articles and Op/Eds like the one below where one politician or another put forth their grand plan to clean up the Susquehanna River.


 
 
Of course, most of their grand plans went nowhere. 
  
Even though I've helped the Susquehanna be named as America's Most Endangered river twice, in 2005 and 2011, and was actively involved in getting an inflatable dam from being built...I know my work is not over.
 
Trust me on that one.
 
“The Susquehanna is one of the most ancient rivers on Earth. In its current state, it is a far cry from the pristine and primeval watershed that existed only a few centuries ago. The threat posed by the natural gas industry and horizontal hydrofracturing will eclipse the environmental legacy of the lumber and coal-mining industries combined, and as a long-time advocate for the protection of the Susquehanna, I believe we must call for an immediate moratorium on all water withdrawals and all natural gas drilling until the technology and legislation catches up with the desire and need to exploit these fossil-fuel resources,”
 
-said Don Williams, Susquehanna River Sentinel.
 
Got a beautiful day brewing outside...think I'll step away and enjoy it.
 
Catch you later.
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment