Welcome / Bienvenu / добро пожаловать / 欢迎

+++

Sunday, May 17, 2015

444 Moment - The Mayfly


We live in a rural area, with lots of woods and fields surrounding our home. I've seen all types of wildlife in the backyard ( & closer ) of the home we've lived in since 1995; deer, turkey, woodchucks, rabbits, skunks, flying squirrels, regular squirrels, foxes, turtles, snakes, a hawk ripping apart one of those rabbits and several other sightings I've long since forgotten.
 
 
In all those years of being what I consider to be a keen observer of nature, I have never, ever, seen a mayfly. Until yesterday.
 
Considering how far we live from the nearest stream or pond, to see a single mayfly perched on our kitchen window was - in my opinion - incredibly rare.
  
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why it was there, and why two cameras - after multiple attempts -  could not bring it into focus long enough to get a good picture when I've taken dozens of pics of "bugs" on that exact same window before.

 
From inside or outside - trying multiple settings on my digital cameras - it didn't make a difference. I could not get a clear picture of that solitary mayfly. That has never happened before.
 
 
 
Perhaps it was a message from the Susquehanna, a haven for mayflies. 
 
Or perhaps, it was just another bug on a window.
 
I'm leaning toward the former.
 
Enjoy your day.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment